Car, Truck, Motorcycle and Pedestrian Accidents

Victims of car and auto accidents, motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, pedestrian accidents, bicycle accidents, or traffic accidents often have the following questions:

Should I take pictures and talk to witnesses?

Howell & Thornhill, P.A., urges the victim of a crash to take pictures of both vehicles, if possible. Take a picture of the license plate, the driver, and all vehicle damage. The officer that comes to the scene may not obtain the full name, address, and phone number of a witness. Ask for it yourself especially if the officer is not present yet.

In our experience, many drivers that cause a crash later change their story. Pictures and witnesses can help prove the truth.

If you call Howell & Thornhill, P.A., we have a better chance of contacting the witnesses and photographing the vehicles and the scene to insure that the driver that caused the crash is held responsible. Please call 800-846-7644 or email on the form to the right today.

Will the police give a ticket to the other driver?

Believe it or not, a ticket given by the police will not always force the insurance company to pay for the damage to your vehicle, your hospital bills, your doctor bills, your lost time from work, or your pain and suffering.

It is important to gather the names of witnesses to the crash and to photograph any skid marks. Our firm has a full time certified accident reconstructionist to help gather this information.

Who will pay for the damage, rental car, bills, time from work, and pain and suffering?

Florida has an unusual law, called No-Fault. This law requires your insurance to pay some of the medical bills and lost wages. The exact amount depends on the insurance you purchased. However, the insurance for the driver who caused the accident is responsible for the remaining bills. Often, they ask for signed releases before paying bills. A release may give up all rights you have, and we believe you should contact an attorney to find out your rights before you sign anything for an insurance company.

Should I talk to the insurance company or claims adjuster when they call or give a recorded statement?

Insurance companies and claim adjusters often tell you they cannot total out your car or repair your car until they have a recorded statement. Please remember that the insurance company may not represent your best interests. Our firm suggests you call an attorney to find out your rights before you give a recorded statement or answer the questions of an insurance company or claims adjuster.

Seeing a medical provider within 14 days

Under Florida law, if you do not see a medical provider within 14 days of the crash, then your insurance company will be off the hook for paying for your medical care. It is important to see a doctor for two reasons. First, you need help to improve physically. Second, you need to document your injuries from the crash so the insurance companies cannot falsely claim that you were not hurt in the crash. They often claim in trial that if you delay in seeing a doctor that you were not hurt at all. We were all raised to avoid seeing the doctor. However, in this circumstance, it is important that you act to safeguard your health and your rights.

Who will provide a rental vehicle?

If your vehicle is not drivable, then the insurance company for the person who caused the crash is responsible for paying for a rental. However, those insurance companies often stall and refuse to rent a vehicle, in our experience. If you have rental coverage, your insurance company may act faster. If you are receiving the run-around from an insurance company, call Howell & Thornhill. For more information, please click on biography of our team. The auto accident attorneys at Howell & Thornhill personally handle questions from victims when they call.

I was in an Uber/Lyft and it was in an accident, what can I do?

If you were a passenger in a ride share, take pictures, call 9-1-1, insist on the police being called, seek medical attention if you are hurt and call us. Florida law has different, complicated rules that apply and we can explain your rights to you.

My child was hurt, should I hire a lawyer?

If your child is hurt due to the negligence of another, there are different laws and rules that apply. Please call us to go over your rights.

Find Out Your Rights for FREE

Submit Your Questions
* By submitting you agree to our Terms & Privacy Policy.